Anses also recommends that graphene-free masks be preferred
In a press release and a report published today, Anses confirmed the lack of data on the nature of graphene used in some masks, on its usefulness and on its safety. These uncertainties, combined with the possible environmental end of life consequences of the masks, reinforce the calls for the precautionary principle launched in early 2021 in Canada and then in Europe. Anses concludes that “Since graphene-free masks that comply with the standards and have demonstrated their particulate filtration efficiency are also available on the market, (…) it is not relevant that masks containing graphene be placed on the market, either for the general public or for professionals.
In another opinion published the same day, Anses concluded that there were no concerns regarding the wearing of surgical masks made available to the public and under conditions respecting the authorities’ recommendations. However, Belgian authorities have found nanoparticles of titanium dioxide and silver in consumer masks. In France, the authorities have not conducted tests to look for these substances (nano or not).
Upcoming Nano Agenda
- Free lectures open to the public, organized as part of the“Sur les épaules des géants, l’événement scientifique” event.
- A round table on ” La pollution invisible des nanoplastiques ” at the Bibliothèque universitaire (B.U.) in Le Havre at 10:45 a.m.
- Carte blanche on nanoparticles at 139 (coworking space) at 12:30 pm
- Speaker: Julien Gigault, researcher in analytical chemistry and environmental science at Géosciences Rennes 1, specializing in the characterization of nanoparticles and their behavior in the environment; CNRS Bronze Medal (2020).
- Website: https: //surlesepaulesdesgeants.fr
- Conference organized as part of the 5th International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM5)
- Website: www.forumue.de/en/civil-society-conference-on-international-chemicals-management
- Exhibition by the Argentique photography club of the University of Technology of Troyes(UTT), taken in the clean rooms of the Light, nanomaterials, nanotechnology laboratory(L2n, CNRS).
- Location: Médiathèque Jacques Chirac, downtown Troyes
- Dates: September 22 to October 10, 2023
- Website: https: //mediatheque-jacques-chirac.fr/expo-…nanotechnologies