Warning on nanoparticles in masks in Holland
After Belgium, the Netherlands has questioned the safety of oral masks with “anti-viral” and “anti-bacterial” claims. The Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) publishes a report on non-surgical oral masks, in which 9 substances used as biocide coatings are identified. Among them: nanosilver, nano-copper, titanium dioxide and graphene.
While the effectiveness and non-toxicity of these coatings are still not assured, and masks are becoming a permanent feature in our daily lives, the institute recommends stepping up efforts to better take into account the potential risks associated with their use. To this end, AVICENN has called on the sanitary authorities and Anses should publish a report soon.
Our information sheets to go further
Upcoming Nano Agenda
- Technical day “What recognition of available methods and laboratories to produce the required data?”
- Organizers: LNE
- Speakers from the following institutions: OECD, ECHA, BAuA, government agencies, industry, LNE
- Website: www.lne.fr/fr/evenements/journee-technique-nanomateriaux-reach
- This module is part of the training program “Interactions between toxic chemicals and the human organism”, open to anyone with a basic scientific education (bachelor’s degree or professional experience).
- Organizers: Association Toxicologie Chimie(ATC)
- Speaker : Nicole PROUST, Research Engineer, CNRS Honorary Research Director, Specialist in Nanotechnologies, Arsenic, Electromagnetic Waves, Palaiseau, France
- Website: www.atctoxicologie.fr/notre-formation.html
- Training intended for occupational physicians, occupational risk prevention specialists (IPRP), company prevention specialists, prevention department staff from Carsat, Cramif and CGSS, institutional prevention specialists (Dreets, Dreal, MSA…).
- Organizer: French National institute of research and security (INRS)
- October 7 to 11, 2024
- Website: www.inrs.fr/…/formation/…stages…JA1030_2024