Nanosilver officially “not approved” as a biocide at European level
The decision not to approve silver in nano form as a biocide has been published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) for product types 2, 4 and 9.
From a legal point of view, this decision was taken because of the absence of an application from an industrialist to obtain an authorization to use nano-silver for biocidal purposes1Indeed, manufacturers sometimes do not file (or withdraw or do not renew) an application for a biocide that does not meet the stricter requirements of the new Biocidal Regulation (or for which they feel the cost will be too high to do so). – and not because of the (actual) risks of nano silver for health and/or the environment.
Our information sheets to go further
Other news on the topic
Anses alerts and calls on public authorities to adopt a more comprehensive definition of nanomaterials
Upcoming Nano Agenda
NanoSafe conference 2023 (CEA, Grenoble)
How the world deals with Materials on the Nanoscale – Responsible Use and Challenges (OECD-BMUV, Berlin)
- International Conference from June 22 to 23, 2023
- Organizers: OECD, German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection(BMUV)
- Website: https: //www.bmuv.de/…
São Paulo School of Advanced Science on Nanotechnology, Agriculture & Environment (SPSAS NanoAgri&Enviro, São Paulo)
- From July 3 to 15, 2023 in São Paulo
- Organizer: FABESP
- Application from November 18 to February 05. Registration fees and travel expenses are covered.
- Speakers: see the complete program here.
Notes & références
- 1Indeed, manufacturers sometimes do not file (or withdraw or do not renew) an application for a biocide that does not meet the stricter requirements of the new Biocidal Regulation (or for which they feel the cost will be too high to do so).